Apologies for the appalling pun. I’m a huge fan of puns and wordplay. Two of my favourite shop names of all time are ‘Thistle Do Nicely’ (in Edinburgh no less), and ‘Cake Expectations’. Genius.
Anyway, onto the review. I’d previously purchased the Naturally Radiant Hot Cloth Cleanser as a drugstore alternative to my beloved REN Rosa Centifolia Hot Cloth Cleanser. I do have to say that this wasn’t a terribly good like-for-like drugstore dupe, and would probably say the Superdrug Hot Cloth Cleanser is closer to the Liz Earle bestseller than it is to the REN one, however it removes make-up well, doesn’t clog my pores and leaves my skin reasonably soft and clear so I was quite impressed.
When I popped into Superdrug on Saturday to spend some points (gotta love a reward card), I ended up picking up the Brightening Micro Polish (£4.99) and the Glycolic Overnight Peel (£5.99). My skin’s been looking a tad dull lately, and I was hoping these two would help.
The Glycolic Overnight Peel includes Kiwi Fruit Extract, which is renowned for its remarkable ability to help brighten and even out skin tone, while also providing antioxidant protection against free radicals; Mulberry Fruit Extract has naturally strong brightening properties, which can help to reduce discolouration and even out skin tone and Glycolic Acid, an effective Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) which re-texturises the skin’s surface, helping to fade pigment irregularities and smooth fine lines and wrinkles for a brighter, more youthful complexion.
The Micro Polish Scrub includes Kiwi Fruit extract too, as well as Mulberry Fruit extract and Fruit Acids to naturally exfoliate and refine the skin’s surface texture.
- Both products are reasonably priced, and Superdrug do a lot of offers so no complaining on that front.
- It took a little while to work these two into my routine and wanted to avoid stripping my skin so I ended up using the Micro-Polish on Saturday alongside my normal evening skin care routine, and the Glycolic Overnight Peel on Sunday night. Even with just a few days use, my skin feels smoother, looks tighter and overall much brighter and I’m impressed by the change in texture and look of my skin.
- Having umm-ed and ahh-ed over purchasing the cult favourite Alpha-H Liquid Gold, I felt like a drug-store product may be a good way to introduce Alpha Hydroxy Acids into my skincare routine without committing to a big purchase. Having said that, I’ve made the plunge and it will be good to see the compare and contrast once my LookFantastic order arrives!
- The texture of the Glycolic Overnight Peel was just not to my taste. Somewhere between a gel and water, it was difficult to apply as it felt like I had no control when I was applying it to my skin. It made it difficult to control how much I applied, and it did feel like I had to go back over certain areas to make sure I’d applied enough product. A minor quibble, and I suppose I could get used to it in time but a bit irritating none the less.
- Not so much a con as a watch out – after using the Overnight Peel, you’ll need to ensure you use a good SPF the next day. Glycolic Acid is a powerful Alpha Hydroxy and may increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun.
Ultimately I was pretty impressed with these two, and I’m definitely going to keep using both products although time will tell if I’ll repurchase or not. They may not be for every day use but good for those times when your skin needs something a little extra. You glow girl.